Thursday, April 17, 2008

Crime or disease

When asked the question if crime is a disease, your mind most likely thinks "Criminals do it
because they want to." When I get asked this question I think that some can't control
themselves. I have personal stories, from family, that suggest that criminals have a mental disorder or disease rather than a need or want. Some admit that they get a high or a buzz from crimes that they commit.
Although some plead not guilty due to insanity or temporary insanity. This plea does not always pass in court because the guilty party has committed previous crimes. If the criminal didn't plea insanity before there is a very small chance that the plea will make it in court.
An uncle of mine was recently committed to a mental hospital because of a speeding ticket. Now one my ask "How does a speeding ticket get someone committed to a mental hospital?" My uncle was committed because he lost his mind short after losing his job. before he lost his job he lost a license, before losing his license he got a speeding ticket which he refused to pay.
He was never on stable ground before, he was normally on drugs. He often felt the need to do drugs as a break from the real world. So by doing drugs, a crime in my book, my uncle created a mental disability.

1 comment:

Mrs. Lux said...

I find it very interesting to debate whether crimes are caused by a disease. I like where you are going with this post and am interested to hear what else you have to say.
I have a family member who recently made a very big mistake, one I've probably made before but haven't gotten caught for. I don't think I'm a criminal, and I definitely don't think she is either, but she did break the law and now she's paying the price for that.
At most, maybe your post can encourage us to think about why crimes are committed, and evaluate that in our own lives with the people we know.